The Ezelpoort was built during the construction of the second ring of ramparts in 1297. It was rebuilt in 1369 to a new design by Jan Slabbaerd and Mathias Saghen, who were also responsible for the construction of the Boeveriepoort and the Smedenpoort. Various alterations were carried out between the 14th and 17th centuries. The lower section of the brick gate is authentic, but the old medieval gate was much higher. The original appearance of the gate was significantly altered in the 17th century, following the removal of the top part of the structure.
- Bus stop Ezelpoort, Koningin Elisabethlaan thv nr. 1
- Reference on the city map: C4